1958 marked the dawn of a new era for Heuer. Jack Heuer became the fourth generation Heuer to manage the family company.
The decade would see new chronograph models, innovating designs for legendary stopwatches and dashboard timers dominating the rally world.
Historically, Heuer had identified most of its chronographs with only reference numbers, but in 1962 the company began using distinctive names for its models.
The Autavia was the tool for automobiles or aviation. The Heuer Carrera would follow in 1963, capturing the power of a beautiful name, the romance of racing and the purity of design.
1968 would bring the Camaro, using a cushion-shaped case to celebrate a popular muscle car of the era, and the Skipper, a colorful yachting watch.
In 1964, Heuer acquired Leonidas, a leading maker of stopwatches and chronographs.
The Leonidas acquisition greatly expanded Heuer’s line of stopwatches.
Through its sponsorship of Swiss Formula One hero Jo Siffert, Heuer became the first non-automotive logo to appear on a Formula One car. The engagement with Formula One would gain a higher profile two years later, when Heuer became a sponsor of the Ferrari Formula One team, with drivers Mario Andretti, Jacky Ickx, Niki Lauda, Clay Regazzoni and Gilles Villeneuve all wearing Heuer chronographs. Jack Heuer presented each of these drivers with an 18-karat gold Heuer Carrera.